Sunday, February 16, 2014

Love soup and bread on snowy days

Its Sunday and snowing.....again. I think that makes 6 of the last 7 days with snow falling. Its evil falling from the sky. Ugh. Anyway on Sunday and Monday my hubby works in a vehicle and has no access to fridge, microwave or anything. So he needs food that can be eaten as is. With this long cold winter I have been making him soup and we found a thermos that keeps his soup hot for 8 hours. Today we made Broccoli Cheddar soup. I love this soup but I haven't been able to find a recipe that matches up to what I would have at restaurants or what has been made using canned goods. After much searching on Pinterest I found a few recipes that I used to make soup.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup
-6 TBSP of Butter
-2 TBSP of Minced Onion
-1/3 cup White Wheat Flour (I grind mine fresh)
-1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
-1/8 tsp Nutmeg
-Dash of Ground Thyme
-Salt & Pepper
-14oz of Chicken Broth
-1 Cup of Milk
-3 Cups of Broccoli Florets (bite size)
-1 Cup of Heavy Cream
-1/4 tsp of Worcestershire
-1/8 tsp of Hot Sauce
-1/4 cup of Colby Jack
-3/4 cup of Monterey Cheese
-1 Cup of White Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Melt Butter in a Dutch Oven. Then add the minced onion and cook on low foe a few mins. Whisk in the flour, cook for 3-4 minutes and then slowly add the milk while whisking.

Once smooth add the garlic powder, nutmeg, thyme, salt, pepper and broth. Bring to a simmer, whisking continuously, until soup has thickened.

Stir in the broccoli and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and stir in the cream, Worcestershire, and Hot sauce. Then add the cheese and stir until melted. Taste the soup and add more alt and pepper as needed.

We all loved this soup. It was nice and thick without being to floury. I would recommend making some bread to go with the soup. I didn't leave enough time so I made some after lunch for the hubby to take to work with him. The French Bread Recipe I used makes two loaves of bread. I made one loaf plain and before I rolled up the second loaf I brushed it with melted butter and sprinkled a cinnamon sugar inside and rolled it up.
As you can see I couldn't get a picture before everyone was begging for pieces.

We had the Cinnamon/Sugar bread as a snack and it was AMAZING! Don't know if the bread will make it to tomorrow though.
Enjoy these recipes they hit the spot on a cold winter day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out Destiny Fulfilled. Plus enter the giveaway

Destiny Fulfilled Laire McKinney Publication date: August 7th 2018 Genres: Adult, Fantasy, Romance Only love can save them… W...