Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Taco Chicken & Peppers with Zesty Lime Rice

So Yesterday for lunch I wanted to do some sort of burrito that used up some of my shredded chicken from making chicken broth. I have been obsessed with cooking from the Pioneer Woman Holiday Cookbook which is where I got the idea. It is seriously awesome.
So I start making the tortillas and realize that I have to let them sit for an hour before cooking them. It was 11:40 and I was starving. So I decided that they were just going to be used for dinner and moved on to figure out lunch.
So i had already put the rice on because the long gran rice takes about 20 mins to cook and I hate crunchy rice lol. I found the recipe in The Pioneer Woman's newest cookbook. The Zesty Lime Rice is so easy to make. I love that it is cooked in chicken broth, even though i used 3/4 chicken broth & 1/4 vegatable broth because I didn't thaw enough chicken broth. I really need to find out if chicken broth is able to be canned. It would save so much time.

Anyway for the chicken I just decided to look what I had in the fridge and throw things together.
So I grabbed a couple peppers I had in the fridge and cut them up. Then chopped 4 cloves of garlic.

Put some olive oil in the pan and started heating it up.

Threw the peppers and garlic in the pan to start cooking.

After a few minutes I added 2 cups of shredded chicken, that thankfully I remembered to thaw from the freezer :).

Then I added 1/4 cup of water and 3 TBSP of homemade Taco Seasoning. Now two things: 1) I would recommend a bigger pan than I used. If not you will be fishing peppers out from under the pan. 2) You might need to add more water or olive oil if it needs for liquid. Depends on your stove, preference and seasoning you use.

Looks so yummy all mixed up.

I remembered that I had some cilantro in the fridge so I chopped some up and added it at the end. Probably should have added more but was not sure how it would taste.

Then like I do with most of my food I added cheese. I shredded and put about a cup of Colby Jack on top, but really however much you like. Then let it melt some or don't its good either way.

When everything is heated scoop it onto your plate with some of the Zesty Lime Rice and eat a helping ( or two). My husband put salsa on top of his because he likes his a little spicier. Tasted good even though i didn't make the tortillas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out Destiny Fulfilled. Plus enter the giveaway

Destiny Fulfilled Laire McKinney Publication date: August 7th 2018 Genres: Adult, Fantasy, Romance Only love can save them… W...