Tuesday, February 11, 2014

So tired of all these "Parenting" articles telling us we suck

Everyday I get on facebook or yahoo all I see is articles about how you are sucking as a parent or how you are ruining your children. Its all getting ridiculous! All these articles say is how if you do anything except be a perfect parent your kids are going to be ruined and not be a functional adult.

How come there are not any articles that talk about how to get over the guilt of not being internet perfect.  These articles do not seem helpful they seem like the people who wrote them know everything and are the worlds greatest parents. Do these people not know that I beat myself up enough. So they not know that when I wake up to marker all over everything including themselves after I spent the previous night scrubbing marker off them because their older brother didn't listen! This comes after you haven't slept for 2 weeks or gotten to leave the house because of snow for months. But according to articles I should be happy and understanding and talk with love. And don't get me wrong I love my children and love them being creative but not on my walls, carpet and chairs.
See plenty of messy art. Its a weekly thing here but I am so tired of all the articles about how if you every get frustrated, angry, raise your voice or any other "bad" emotion your kids are ruined. Why cant we raise our children to understand that being human means not always being perfect. Shouldn't we teach them to be empathetic, sympathetic, caring, kind and loving. But also that its ok to be upset, angry, frustrated and sometimes not be perfect. I know I want to make sure that my kids know that all emotions are ok and how to deal with them in the right way.
Some days I know I am my worst critic. I feel that I could do more to be a better wife, mother and person but I am human. I have days that I dont want to deal with people and just clean or cook or 
read. Sometimes I just want to hang out with my kids.

I hope that someday we can read articles about how parenting is hard. That if we raise our kids to be honest and compassionate they will be ok. To raise them that if they struggle as adults that its not because their parents messed up or ruined them. Teach them to take responsibility for themselves while knowing that their parents are always there to give them a hand when needed.

So I will just say this. You are an awesome parent! You love your kids and try your hardest to do what you
feel is best. If you have a bad day or don't feel you live up to other peoples expectations, just remember there are parents everywhere who feel the same way. You are not alone. You are loved. Do not listen to anything that you don't feel is right.
Enjoy the moments that make it all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out Destiny Fulfilled. Plus enter the giveaway

Destiny Fulfilled Laire McKinney Publication date: August 7th 2018 Genres: Adult, Fantasy, Romance Only love can save them… W...